I do my best not to stress out... I really do. I plan ahead, tell myself to keep calm... I'll even sip on some wine to take my mind off of things. But hosting a party, no matter how small, makes me freak a little.
It doesn't help that this is the season for holding and attending parties... actually, it's out of control how many we have. There was "Friendsgiving," followed by Thanksgiving... then a Day After Thanksgiving brunch, and a "Leftoversgiving" party (I'm so thankful I don't eat meat because I'd be really tired of turkey at this point). Now we're gearing up for Chanukah and Christmas parties... which will bring us to New Year's. I'm exhausted thinking about it.
In preparing for this busy holiday season, it's important to have a list of recipes that are easy to make for a party. Since whipping up these sweet and spicy candied nuts a few weeks ago, I knew I wanted to share it with all of you. It really doesn't get much easier than this and people go nuts over them (oh dear.. I can't believe I just typed that.)
Sweet and Spicy Candied Nuts
3 cups unsalted nuts, a combination of pecans, walnuts, and/or cashews
1 large egg white
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg white and a splash of water until it is foamy.
3. Add nuts, sugar, spices and salt to the bowl and toss to combine with egg.
4. Pour mixture onto the lined baking pan and, using a spoon, evenly spread out.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and toss to break up nuts. If they are still wet, bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until dry.
7. Take the pan out and let cool before serving.