Every day I learn a bit more about what makes me happy. The list changes as I go. Cooking an elaborate meal for Eric, cuddle time with Maki, a long hot shower on a winter morning. A song, a book, a walk, a nap. These are the things… the seemingly “little things” that bring me joy. As messy as life can be, these are the things that create balance and I hold onto these moments with a tight grip.
Seared Scallops with Fettuccine + Kale
1 bunch of kale, washed and stems removed
1 pound whole wheat fettuccine or linguini
1 pound sea scallops, rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Slice the kale leaves thinly and set aside.
2. Put up a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook based on the directions on the box.
3. Dry the sea scallops with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter on high heat. Once it begins to smoke, add the scallops and cook for approximately 3 minutes, or until it has browned on one side. Using tongs, flip the scallops and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, depending on the size of the scallops. Set them aside on a plate.
5. In the same skillet, cook the onions for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the kale and garlic cloves, season with salt and ground black pepper and cook for another 4 minutes. Toss the pasta with the kale mixture. Mix in the parsley, lemon zest and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
6. Serve the pasta and kale with scallops on top. Grate some Parmesan cheese on top.