Finally, a sunny day. It was so gloomy last week and it definitely brought everyone's mood way down. On the plus side, the cloudy, slightly damp weather has produced some wonderful green grass. Our lawn has never looked so good. We spent last weekend on the Cape where we got to celebrate Derby Day with our neighbors (there was fried turkey and Mint Juleps) and Mother's Day with Eric's mom. We've both been busy and will continue to be over the next few weeks, so it was good that we took the time to spend a few days down there.
I was surprised to see corn at the store the other day (maybe it's because it hasn't felt remotely like summer around here), but I didn't really question it. I can eat corn all the time and in July and August, that's pretty much the case. It adds a lovely sweetness to dishes (and I love the pop of color), so I think it goes especially well with pasta. This is a favorite way to serve it: dressed in pesto and topped with slivered almonds for a little texture.
Linguine with Mint Pesto and Corn
1 pound linguine
1/3 cup packed mint leaves
1/4 cup packed parsley leaves
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 ears uncooked corn
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Following the instructions on the packaging, cook the pasta until al dente.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, add the garlic and half of the slivered almonds and pulse until it has turned into a coarse paste. Add the mint, parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil and pulse until blended.
3. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt, to taste.
4. Using a knife, shave corn kernels into a bowl.
5. Add remaining olive oil to a sauté pan set over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for two minutes. Add corn and season with salt. Cook for another two minutes.
6. Transfer drained pasta to the pan with the corn and onion. Stir in pesto and toss to combine. Top with more slivered almonds.