It’s hard to believe the weather we had this weekend? What we thought was going to be a cold and wet one turned out to be quite nice. Eric and I made the most of it, taking Maki on long walks through the woods. On Saturday, we took a trip to The Fells Reservation in Medford, MA with our friend Courtney and her dog (and Maki’s best friend) Lola. They romped through mud and puddles, chasing after each other to the point of exhaustion.
Despite the unseasonable temperatures, I still craved comfort food… and few things satisfy like a big, homemade veggie pot pie. Gifts from our recent CSA box – onions, potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, turnips – made for the perfect filler. Coated with cream sauce and then topped with a flaky pastry… well, let’s just say it did the trick.
Fall Veggie Pot Pie
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 yellow onions, diced
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1/2 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 tablespoon fresh, flat leaf parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place olive oil in a large saute pan and set to medium heat. Add the onions and cook for a minute.
3. Add the butternut squash, carrots, potatoes and turnip to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook for another 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in peas and take the pan off heat.
4. In a saucepan, heat the butter at medium heat. Once it has melted, add the flour and whisk until combined. Whisk in the vegetable broth 1/2 a cup at a time. Whisk in the heavy cream. Remove from heat.
5. Pour cream mixture over cooked vegetables and toss to combine. Mix in parsley.
6. Transfer mixture to a 9 by 9 glass baking dish.
7. Top with puff pastry sheet and fold into sides of pan.
8. Bake for 40 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and serve.