When we want to work, we work
When we want to play, we play
In a happy setting, we’re getting
Some fun out of life
Lost in the warm breeze, a beer in my hand, huddled over the grill with my man. These are the moments where I’m perfectly satisfied with where I am in this big, beautiful world. There’s a sense of freedom that takes over and all my nerves are calmed.
Our days are long and busy, filled with e-mails and text messages, Tweets and “likes,” that I take comfort in this time Eric and I spend together cooking and chatting, drinking and laughing.
I know this summer has been a hot one, but I’m not ready for it to end. I’m going to hold onto it for as long as I can… and I’m going to do it with food. When the tomatoes and corn no longer grace the shelves, it’s going to be hard. So, for now, let’s enjoy every morsel… or, in this case, every kernel.
Grilled Corn and Kale Salad with Basil-Lime Dressing
8 ears of corn, husked
1 bunch of kale, washed, stemmed and julienned
1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Zest of 1 lime (organic)
Juice of 2 limes
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons basil, chiffonade
Red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Grill the corn over high heat until all the sides are browned.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, and basil.
3. In a serving bowl, add the kale and tomatoes.
4. Shave the grilled corn and add the kernels to the bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
5. Season with salt and red pepper flakes and let sit for 15 minutes before serving (this will cure the kale and make it less tough).