Let's call this "bread" what it really is. It's a cake... a chocolatey cake that I've shaped into a loaf and thrown some zucchini into just so I feel a little bit better about eating it at all hours of the day. Sometimes chocolate is what we crave. Don't resist it. Give in. Make one for yourself and give the other to a friend or tuck it in the freezer for the next time you're hit with a craving. And don't feel guilty when you slice into it for a quick breakfast... or a mid-morning snack... or right before bed. We all deserve a little chocolate every now and then.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Yields 2 loaves
Ingredients 4 cups grated zucchini 3 eggs 1 cup olive oil 2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 1/2 cups sugar 3 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup unsweetened, natural (not Dutched) cocoa powder 2 teaspoons cinnamon 2 teaspoons baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two loaf pans with butter or baking spray.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, olive oil and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
4. Using a wooden spoon, combine half of the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Repeat with the remainder of the dry ingredients. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
5. Transfer half the batter into each of the loaf pans. Smooth out with a spatula.
6. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the bread.